Posts Tagged ‘hosen’

Smock is done… pictures and a more detailed writeup forthcoming.  It looks great, fits great.  I’m going to display it at Ice Dragon, so there will be documentation available within the next month or so.

Hosen are done, too.  They fit VERY snugly in the foot but that’s OK.  I think I fitted the bottom seam in the toe area differently on the two socks, too… I’ll have to go back and see and maybe I can figure out what I did.

Veil is halfway hemmed.  I still don’t like doing rolled hems, but I am getting faster at them.

Advertisements

Socksen!!!

Aaaand Caleb’s hosen are done. The kiddo and I went to practice tonight and I finished off the toes to fit his feet. No pictures because, well… Plain linen hosen. I didn’t do anything new or interesting on them. I’ll get a picture of them on him at some point. I had forgotten, though, exactly how quickly hosen go together when you have a pattern for them.

Now I’m working on hemming Catlin’s riding tunic. Getting the hems on these things even is a giant pain.

And THEN when I have that done I still have a smock and gown for Magdalena.

How is it that the past two years I have not gone to Pennsic and yet I have Pennsic Panic nonetheless?

Catlin’s riding tunic is nearly done – I just need to hem it and finish the sleeves. Oh, and pull out all the basting.

Caleb’s hosen, which I cut out on Friday so that I could work on them yesterday at Pax, are over half done (the first one is completely together, just needs the toe seam done and the hole for the points; the second one has the lining in and I’m in the process of doing the topstitching on the upper edge).

Still completely un-touched are Magdalena’s gowns, but they are going to be machine-sewn so they won’t take nearly as long.

Maybe I’ll even have time to make my kid a new tunic one of these days! She needs one desperately; her overdress is barely knee length at this point.

Autumn Collegium

Edith and I trundled off today to Autumn Collegium in Beau Fleuve, at a site that is about as far as you can get from home and still be in the Barony (travel time: approximately an hour).  For me, at least, it was a very relaxing day.  I taught my socks class, which now has the official title, “Banish the Tube Socks”, to a captive audience of five.  Honnoria had cornered me sometime before the class and asked if I needed a victim model; I said yes and now there’s a mostly-finished hosen pattern for her in a box in my kitchen to be finished up at a later date.  So we talked the theory of socks and then I demonstrated how to drape a pattern for them.  As we were talking, I realized that there’s really no way to explain men’s hosen without explaining braies.  So now I’m thinking about a two-hour class entitled “13th century men from the waist down”.  Mistress Alicia asked me if I could do it at Three Ravens.

In addition to teaching my class, I went to Mistress Alicia’s class on documentation which just served to remind me that, as I put it to her, I have an attitude problem about A&S competitions.  And I’m not scared of documentation (which we knew).  And in my continuing class to spend as much time as possible in places where goldwork embroidery is happening (as if that will magically imbue me with the ability to do it), I audited  Mistress Yvianne’s Or Nué class.  No, it’s not opus anglicanum, but the technique for the application of the metal threads is very similar so I absorbed more today.  I think that after the first of the year I will be brave enough to order some gold and stranded silk and have a go at it for real.

The dayboard was spectacular, there was good company, and it was all in all a relaxing day and I was home cooking dinner for a very affectionate five year old girl by 5 pm.

Go here for a first draft of the hosen handout.  I’d appreciate feedback on it – I’ll be using it for a class at Have Fun Storming the Castle in a couple of weeks.

And documentation is even written! I was working on the hosen handout I’ve promised to approximately a zillion people and I realized that I needed to actually test out one of the patterning methods I was suggesting (measuring and sketching, as opposed to draping). So I made a pair, using some scrap linen/cotton blend we had running around. They fit pretty well; I might decide to fit them a little tighter but I’m reserving judgment on that until I’ve worn them at least one day.  Go here for the static page, where there’s also a link for the documentation.

Blogged with the Flock Browser